Strategy jobs lie in the more conservative type of professions and it is important to make sure that one dresses appropriately. After all, having to brush elbows with the higher ups and constant work with officers and the board of directors will require you having to look your best every single day. But don’t you fret just yet. We’ve got you covered with the following tips.
- As a rule of thumb, follow the dress code policy from management. Each organization is unique and follows a corporate culture that is strictly their own. This requires you to not only abide by the rules set up by the company but it also means having to be observant enough with the so-called silent dress code. Think about it this way. What are your bosses donning?
- Make sure that everything fits. This applies both width-wise and length-wise. Make sure that your waistband isn’t cutting off your oxygen or that your suit jacket constricts your movement. See to it that your pants are long enough to cover your ankles but not too much that it drags on the floor. Don’t wear clothes that are too loose either because they make you look tacky. Wear your size or have them altered to fit.
- When in doubt go conservative. Actually, be conservative at all times. Avoid low-cut blouses or very short skirts. This is a work area and not a runway show. Anything that’s sheer and see-through must be avoided at all costs as well. You want to look modest and professional not the other way around.
- Neutral tones are your go to colors. They’re safe and they’re not too loud. But this does not mean that you should wear boring clothes. You can wear color and print too just as long as you practice the perfect balance so that you don’t end up looking like some traffic light.
- Put on the right shoes. For guys this would mean dress or leather shoes. Sneakers are a major crime while slippers are the worst. For the ladies, go for fairly-low heels. There’s no need to strut in stilettos. You’ll only do yourself a major disadvantage as they painful to walk in and they make it hard to move around too.
- Press your clothes. Although this may seem like an obvious tip for everyone and not just people with strategy jobs, it’s one that is often overlooked and forgotten. Iron off those wrinkles to make you look chic and dapper while being sleek and professional all at the same time.